|AWARE [SYSTEMS]||Imaging expertise for the Delphi developer|
|TIFF and LibTiff Mailing List Archive|
LibTiff Mailing List
2008.09.03 17:20 "Re: Some security fixes from RHEL", by Lee Howard
Bob Friesenhahn wrote: > We should make sure that 3.9 is ABI/link compatible with previous > releases if possible. Otherwise Debian and other distributions will > refuse to distribute it as updates to their stable releases. I have no problem with seeing 3.9 be ABI/link compatible with previous releases, but I don't want to see a 3.9 release blocked by that condition waiting on code work that will not be forthcoming. If Debian and others will refuse to distribute it in their stable (read: "stale") releases then that is their decision, and they're welcome to patch away at a previous release. Meanwhile, I think that we have an obligation to the rest of the libtiff-using community to cut code releases as development occurs. The release-develop-release-develop cycle is co-dependent. If you stop releasing then development also slows (especially in the form of contributions). Thanks, Lee.