AWARE [SYSTEMS] Imaging expertise for the Delphi developer
AWare Systems, Imaging expertise for the Delphi developer, Home TIFF and LibTiff Mailing List Archive

LibTiff Mailing List

TIFF and LibTiff Mailing List Archive
May 2011

Previous Thread
Next Thread

Previous by Thread
Next by Thread

Previous by Date
Next by Date

Contact

The TIFF Mailing List Homepage
This list is run by Frank Warmerdam
Archive maintained by AWare Systems



Valid HTML 4.01!



Thread

2011.05.05 16:44 "Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Katerina Sedivy
2011.05.05 17:42 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Frank Warmerdam
2011.05.05 19:01 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Bob Friesenhahn
2011.05.05 19:49 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Katerina Sedivy
2011.05.05 20:16 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Bob Friesenhahn
2011.05.06 17:07 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Katerina Sedivy
2011.05.12 06:09 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Andreas Kleinert
2011.05.05 19:59 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Katerina Sedivy
2011.05.05 21:08 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Frank Warmerdam

2011.05.05 19:59 "Re: Is LibTiff 3.9.5 Thread Safe ?", by Katerina Sedivy

Sorry I did not do a reply to all  ...

Frank,

Thank you for your response. So you say that you use the TIFFGetField() in a
multithread environement on multiple tiffs and it always returns the correct
values for the bits per sample flag ? You do not do anything special like
Bob said about the exercising ?


Thanks,
Katerina

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 11-05-05 02:38 PM, Katerina Sedivy wrote:
>
>> Let me try to explain myself better.. I have 3 folders with multiple tiff
>> files. Each thread reads tiff files from a different folder therefore the
>> same
>> tiff file is never opened by 2 threads at the same time.
>>
>> Thread1 reads tiff files from folder  Tiffs1
>> Thread2 reads tiff files from folder  Tiffs2
>> Thread3 reads tiff files from folder  Tiffs3
>>
>> So I would have assumed that TIFFGetField is alway executed on a different
>> TIFF
>> object since I open a different tiff file handle each time before calling
>> TIFFGetField . The handle to the tiff returned by TiffOpen is a local var
>> in
>> the execute function of the thread therefore it is not one file handle per
>> thread but rather one file handle per TIFF.
>>
>
> Katerina,
>
> Ah, this should work fine.  There is always the possibility of a
> thread safety issues somewhere in the code which might need to be fixed
> but I assume this approach is fine and use it myself without apparent
> problems.
>
> Sorry for misunderstanding.
>
>
> Best regards,
> --
>
> ---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
> warmerdam@pobox.com
> light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent
>
>