2005.12.04 23:29 "[Tiff] how to split layers in tiff file", by Brad Brock

2005.12.05 23:07 "Re: [Tiff] how to split layers in tiff file", by John Engelke

There is information about a Photoshop-specific Image Source Data tag in the March 22, 2002, posting of Adobe Photoshop TIFF Technical Notes. ( http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFFphotoshop.pdf ) It states that the tag "37724" contains "the layer and mask information found in a typical layered Photoshop file". So that is where the information on photoshop layers, not channels, is contained.

Does anyone know of a TIFF processing library, command-line tool, API or anything else that can deal with this Adobe tag. I know that Photoshop and GIMP deal with it, and I am just hoping for something server side, libtiff or otherwise. I am sorry I would develop this myself but there is just no time, that is why I am seeking a mature library that can handle these things. Please help...

P.S. The handling of Photoshop layers would be a great addition to libtiff... (that is if I'm not mistaken by now that it can't handle this ...)

On 12/5/05, Brad Brock <brad_brock@yahoo.com> wrote:

In my last post, I mean layers in the context of Photoshop and GIMP. I really need a help in this topic. In fact, not only tiff file but also psd file, I think both of them are very similar. Please, any help would be great. Thank you.

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote: On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, John Engelke wrote:

Please any further information on this topic would be helpful. I have a Photoshop Tiff file with embedded layers that I need to either break out and recombine or simply delete, similar to the poster's issue. My issue is about layers as opposed to channels. I would think that since Photoshop is used in like 90+ percent of publishing operations around the world (defacto standard) that this issue would have been addressed. Any guidance whatsoever is appreciated.

As Joris says, TIFF has "channels" rather than "layers". However, extra channels can be used to implement "layers". For example, an associated alpha channel is called a "layer" by Photoshop.