2004.01.15 17:00 "Re: [Tiff] http://www.libtiff.org/", by Joris Van Damme
was he the person who hijacked
Does it really matter?
- is making money by having people 'donate to LibTiff', purely for his own private business?
It would seem so - looking at the html the payment looks to go
That at least is defenite proof of faul intentions then.
Posting something to slashdot.org
I agree. So, what are we going to post? Any candidates for writing up the text? If not, it's going to be me bigmouth.
Also, the site is hosted by Network Operations Center Inc. in the States, but it appears to be SPAM hoster. I imagine they are pretty immune to complaints.
Again, does it really matter?
I'm not native English, in fact, I hardly speak English. Could you please de-abbriviate this for me? Unless if it's not very flattering... ;-)
It takes about ten years to get used to how old you are.
Nice signature. I've also found that it takes about thirty to fourty years to finally start experiencing what it says in your signature. Life is funny that way, isn't it? ;-)
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> the company which actually paid for the
> libtiff.org registration allowed the domain to lapse
May I guess who that negligant company is? Is one guess going to suffice?
> Obviously the company used predatory tactics since they immediately > populated libtiff.org with the original material.
Yes, indeed, and that is another definite sign of fault intentions.
I think it doesn't even matter how this came about exactly, and what legal actions we can or cannot take exactly, and who's going to pay notice to our complaints exactly. If we are going to do this the 'correct' way, we'll grow a beard size of the Eiffeltower and still not accomplish anything. I understand Andrey has been trying to accomplish something the 'correct' way for quite some time now, so that should prove my point.
I think we need to put some predator actions on this matter ourselves. Let's really bother him. Let's
- Stop talking about the things we can do, unless it's new ideas or actual action. We already agreed on the three idea's Marco Schmidt offered yesterday, didn't we? (German copyright related newsgroup, slashdot and cb or something) So let's put some action into it. Marco offered to translate to German where necessary. Anyone offering to write up some texts?
- I still think the main reason the 'correct' way doesn't work is that absolutely noone is bothered with it. So let's start bothering. Anyone offering to compile a list of e-mail as well as snail-mail addresses to bother? Let's make noise! This would include his ISP for starters, even if they aren't interested.
- Do people here agree that it is a good idea to let the man know that he's in for quite a storm? If he's got any sense at all, he'll know it's time to quit. So let's just mail him personally too, with a simple link to the on-line version of this thread.
- Do people here give me a mandate for contacting Belgium computer crime police? They won't be able to do anything at all, I guess, but they will certainly be able to point me to the right german channels if there are any. Again, I don't really care if they can stop him, they certainly can and will make it very difficult on him and harress him.
- He's gathering funds through Paypal. Anyone here offering to write up some text to notify Paypal of the crimes committed through their channel? If he's got any sense at all, he'll make sure Paypal doesn't ban him. Again, I don't care if it works, I care for making lots of problems for him.
- Anyone offering to trace all the groups he has a membership in? Familly, friends? Let's destroy his image of successfull business man he no doubt has and let his environment know what he really does for a living.
- And I think the de-google-izing is a good idea too. Do people here agree? Anyone able and willing to write up a text?
I'm asking a lot of 'anyone able and willing', I know. I also know that I have a talent for making noise, but am not always very good in writing up exactly correct texts. I hardly even master English. That's why I'm hoping someone else will do this. But if noone does, and people do not object to me doing it, then I will.
Let's put some action into this! The man messed with the wrong green-eyed stepchild, because it's OUR green-eyed stepchild.
Joris Van Damme